Friday 17 June 2011

Focus - Brief 4 - Adam

Finally found some time today to take some shots for Brief 4

I setup a small studio with a white background to help focus on my chosen object.

I have used 2x85W 5400K Lighting and some smaller 5400K lights to remove shadows and make the object look more dynamic due to its glossy surface.



I chose this location in my house due to the natural lighting coming from behind the back drop from the french windows and the sky light above the object I was shooting


The brief outlines the use of light and how at different time of the day the light will effect the shot taken.

At this stage I have take all my shots around Mid Day and have used the Dynamic Bracketing function on the camera to demonstrate how different exposure levels effect my object.

The 3 shots of the object were all taken in Manual mode and originally in RAW

-1/3 Exposure selected by the AE



0 change to the camera AE



+1/3 Exposure to the AE

Having all histogram next to each other I can see how the camera has increased the dynamic range making the shots lighter until it is over exposed in places

I will see if I get time later to take the shots again with less light coming from the sky light as the sun goes down.

I am not sure how close to the brief this experiment is but I wanted to play with lighting and dynamic range in a controlled manner and the overcast grey sky didn't change all morning. I believe there have been some interesting evening skys in Leeds this week but unfortunately I haven't been around but I did snap this with my iPhone 4 on the train back to Leeds yesterday evening around 20:00


Think it would have been an awesome shot if I had my HS20 and wasn't traveling so fast inside a train behind a thick glass window, alas!

Added a Panoramic Crop


2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam,

    Love the shot out of the train window. The light is wonderful between 7pm and 10pm. When the sun gets lower the light becomes more dramatic. The same occurs in the morning of course.

    The guitar shots are entirely lit by the flash lights. The skylight and window have no affect as the flashes have probably eliminated any natural light source. Will talk on Sunday regarding these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right about the natural light source. I only had a bit of time on Friday to have a play and with a flat grey sky and little time I decided to have a play with the studio lights.

    I managed to get the shot I wanted and will show you the finished article on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete