Wednesday 7 September 2011

New Printer

Just to let you know my new printer arrived today :o)

I got frustrated with the quality of the exposure, colour, paper and crops from sending my photos off to a 'lab' so decided to invest in the new generation photo ink jets which are claiming to be better than lab quality when it comes to prints.

I shopped around and read many reviews and I selected a no frills A3+ Canon printer which is all about the quality and doesn't have any gimmick extras. It also meant the price was superb compared to the specs of a similar competitor which may have a SD card reader or be WiFi as well as printing.

I selected the Canon iX6550


This printer has one of the finest/smallest ink nozzle heads in existence so it is capable of incredibe detail and it has not disappointed.

I spent the day testing the printer and all the different profiles in photoshop until I found one that matched exactly my laptop's screen calibration. This means I can print images exactly how they appear on my laptop and the quality even in A3 is amazing.

I compared it to the prints for the exhibition and I would say it just pips those prints although I have used top grade 280g/m2 paper which does make a difference.

If anyone wants any extra prints for or after the exhibition then please let me know. I can't compete on price compared to the big boys who buy their paper and ink in bulk, but what I can do is provide prints on top quality paper which are formated (or cropped if necessary) correctly and the prints should be pretty close to the quality you see on your screen.

I have got paper to cover the following:

5"x7" - Premium Gloss II 260g/m2
A4 - Ultimate Gloss 280g/m2
A4 - Matte 170g/m2 or 260g/m2
A3 - Matte 260g/m2 - perfect for 30x40(cm) frames if you don't crop a standard 4:3 picture (lots in IKEA)
 
I should have A3 Gloss, A3+ Canvas, 6x4 Gloss very soon

(Standard copier paper is about 80g/m2)

Anyway I hope this information is useful and if you want to know anything else then you know where to find me.

Oh and if anyone is available to support tomorrow, some of us will be down Kirkstall Road way helping Paul with the mounting for Sunday

0 comments:

Post a Comment