Sunday 19 June 2011

Focus - Brief 4 - Hannah

Brief 4:

"Just to formally set this weeks brief:

I would like you all to set up some kind of still life/object at home and photograph it at different
times of the day. The object should have some personal significance. I would like you to observe the different lighting conditions and adjust you camera setting accordingly. Please keep bracketing and experimenting a little with ISO if you feel there is a need. I would like you all to present 3 photographs of the same subject so that you can talk about each one from a technical and creative point of view".

The first things that I thought of for subjects for this week were objects in my new, beloved kitchen, (specifically my range master). However with only a shaded west facing window, the light only get interesting in there late in the evening, so not ideal for this weeks brief. So I went outside in search of subjects, where the change in light would be more dramatic. I took some trial shots on Monday afternoon, as the weather forecast was best on Tuesday for this week. Although I actually took about 200 shots of 9 subjects I decided on those of my Astra's badge as its reflective surface really made the most of the changes in the lighting conditions:

This photograph was shot at 4:20 (10 mins before sunrise) 1/5sec, ISO 200 and f5.6.

This photograph was shot at 16:55 1/420sec, ISO 100 and f5.6.

This photograph was shot at 18:12 1/420sec, ISO 100 and f5.
I think this is my favourite of the photographs I took as the clouds are so dramatic.

This photograph was shot at 22:20 (30 mins before sunset) 5sec, ISO 200 and f5.6.


1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great shot. The light is incredibly well balanced because it is so subdued. Some of the best landscapes are shot at daybreak because of the potentially wonderful light conditions. The mist and moisture helps diffuse the light too which allows you to get pictures that you simply cannot capture and hour or two later.

    I see the time of day like an aperture. At this time of year, from 4am till 6am is a unique and very special aperture in the day!

    Well done Hannah!

    ReplyDelete